This gorgeous cabinet did not start off as looking that way. I found it at a thrift store when I was looking for a side table/cabinet with some storage for my family room. I bought it for a whopping 5 dollars.
The above photo was taken after I had started working on it already.
Here are the steps I took to bring this beauty to its current state.
- Cleaned thoroughly.
- Took down the door and the side storage parts.
- Sanded everything inside and out, except for the door, because that got replaced altogether.
- Spray painted inside of the cabinet with lavender color(don’t remember the name or the brand).
- Spary painted the outside of the cabinet with the color lagoon from Rustoleum.
- Assembled the door from scratch (Tutorial coming soon for the faux tin finish of the inset). Old door was used as a template for size and placement of the hinges.
- Let the cabinet dry and cure overnight).
- Wet and dry sanded. Heavily in the areas which are normally prone to more wear and lightly in others.
- Spray painted a coat of clear finish. The directions on the spray can of varnish said to wait for at least 72 hours, If not applied within 4 hours, to apply the second coat. Not following the directions made the paint to bubble and crack.
- I let the paint dry just like that. ( I was kind of frustrated from the outcome but decided to wait for a day before taking the next course of action)
- Next day I applied a light coat of dark walnut stain all over the piece. The stain settled in the cracks, which were made by not following the directions properly and also gave the whole piece a nice rich glow.
- Let the stain dry and cure for 3-4 days.
- Attached the door after everything was cured.
I could not use this cabinet in my family room, because it was a bit wider for the side of the couch I had bought for in the first place. I made a side table for that space ( details of that coming soon), and sold this one on Kijiji.
Here are some more beauty shots;
One more shot of a side by side comparison